Political Assassination in Ghana Points Directly to Taylor


The Perspective
Atlanta, Georgia

Posted April 30, 2002

More details emerged on April 29, 2002 regarding the two men detained by Ghanaian authorities for assassinating on April 25, 2002 the Liberian exiled political dissident, General Alfred T. Glay. One of the men, Charles Wrotee, fought with Charles Taylor in the 1980's in his campaign to overthrow the Samuel K. Doe government.

During that conflict to overthrow President Doe, Charles Wrotee used the name, "Ranger". Up to the time of his arrest, he serves as a member of the notorious Anti-terrorist Unit (ATU) at Executive

Mansion in Monrovia. As for his partner-in-crime, Christopher Wesseh, he too fought along aside Taylor in the NPFL rebel movement. Prior to his arrest, he was a security officer of the Taylor government, and apparently has some connection with Benjamin Yeaten, head of the Taylor's Presidential Security Guards.

About a month ago, Benjamin Yeaten - the mastermind of the killing of Samuel Dokie and his family, who serves as Director of the Special Security Services (Taylor's Presidential Security Guard), quietly slipped into Ghana on an intelligence mission where he spied on the Liberian exiles in that West African sub-region. Members of the exile community in Ghana expressed concern and fear that his presence was likely to have those who opposed Taylor's dictatorial rule assassinated, which has proven true.

As reported on Monday, April 29, 2002, the two accused assassins arrived in Ghana three days prior to the assassination of General Glay. They were seen driving a car with Liberian license plate number PC3888, which they operated as a taxi cab in Ghana. Witnesses interviewed disclosed that as General Glay was leaving a wake, the two men offered him a ride. Wesseh got out of the front seat and offered it to him, taking the seat directly behind him. Several hours later, a family member of General Glay returning from a nearby hospital reported that General Glay's body had been found on the highway and brought to the hospital. His neck was broken and there was blood flowing from his ear. Other witnesses came forward that placed General Glay in the car with the two men; the local authorities were contacted and they began their search for the two men.

Twice General Glay had escaped from Taylor's death squad. The first time was in the mid-1990 in Monrovia, while the second time was in late 1997 in Tchien, Grand Gedeh County. Fearing for his life, he fled Liberia but the death squad pursued him into the Cote d'Ivoire and missed him. Hoping to find a safe haven, he relocated to Ghana.

General Alfred T. Glay was the son of Zo Gborbo Glay an early member of the Liberian Frontier Force (LFF) in the late 1920's. He is survived by his 81-year old mother, children, grandchildren and a host of relatives and friends too numerous to list. It is the family's wish that his body be taken to his hometown in Grand Gedeh County for burial.

© The Perspective
P.O. Box 450493
Atlanta, GA 31145
Website: www.theperspective.org
E-mail: editor@theperspective.org